Monday, January 5, 2015

Their Souls Are Precious


In Alma chapter 31, Alma and his fellow missionaries have encountered a people who worship false idols and will not listen to their wonderful message.

He gathers together his brethren and this is his prayer: "Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee." Soon after this prayer the lord grants this blessing. 

"And the Lord provided for them that they should hunger not, neither should they thirst; yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ. Now this was according to the prayer of Alma; and this because he prayed in faith."

    With these scriptures as a background I want to tell you about my week and relate it to each of you and how praying for an opportunity to help someone find the path that leads to Christ, if done with faith, will yield countless blessings.

I was able to go on exchanges with an Elder Bennion, from Bountiful Utah, this week. He is one of my zone leaders and is what some would call a "consecrated missionary." He, to me, is a great example of putting everything on the alter of sacrifice and going to work. Throughout the exchange I noticed he was praying a lot more than I was. And each and every time it was on his knees. He never mentioned it or told me to pray as he did, but a short lesson here is that leading by example can have great effects. 
As I began to try harder to pray more, on my knees, and with the faith of Alma, I noticed a change. It wasn't a large change but I have noticed a change in myself. Alma also says that it is by "small and simple means that bring miracles," and so it is with prayers. Kneeling down with all sincerity and willingness shows our faith and will bring blessings.

    In D&C section 24 this revelation is given to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery:
 5. And thou shalt continue in calling upon God in my name, and writing the things which shall be given thee by the Comforter, and expounding all scriptures unto the church. 
6. And it shall be given thee in the very moment what thou shalt speak and write, and they shall hear it, or I will send unto them a cursing instead of a blessing.
7. For thou shalt devote all thy service in Zion; and in this thou shalt have strength.
8. Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many;but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.
24. And in temporal labors thou shalt not have strength, for this is not thy calling. Attend to thy calling and thou shalt have wherewith to magnify thine office, and to expound all scriptures, and continue in laying on of the hands and confirming the churches.
Last Pday we went to this cafe overlooking Sherman Shui Ku which is a lake you can see from space so it is huge. and it was soo beautiful but we didn't eat there because it is expensive.
These scriptures don't just define missionary work. They define life at home, at work and at school. I have had countless times where I just did not have the courage or strength to share this message. But sometimes you just have to say "not my will, but thine be done," and then kneel down and pray. 
I have learned a lot while I have been out here. I walk past countless amounts of people that need the gospel and will not receive it. All I can do is invite them. And I do so to you. I invite you to share this message and to pray for the strength to help those who need it to find it. 
I love you all and hope all is well. 

Love, Elder Henry David Christensen

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS on your 25th anniversary!! That is so wonderful! You are both such wonderful parents and examples to me. I do hope I can be as good of a husband and father as ole dougly is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment