Monday, April 13, 2015

Home



First let me just say that I do love my Ma and Pa. This conference had a lot of people speak about marriage and families and that mostly made me think of my mom and dad. They are an example to me of a wonderful marriage and fantastic parents. I am grateful for them so very much.
In Elder Quentin L. Cooks talk on Saturday he told the story of a sailor who had a clock that his father had given him to remind him of home. With this watch he kept the time the same as it was at home so he could think of what his family was doing at those times and keep them close to him. 

As I got out of the shower the other day I looked at my watch and it had been bumped or switched to the setting where it shows what time it is at home. How convenient! It was about 7:00 in the morning here and that means it was about 5:00 at night back home in Utah. My family would soon be blessing their food and praying for me (hopefully, I need it) just like in the story Elder Cook told. 
It was kind of a special moment for me. At that time a line from a sing-along-blog I saw once popped out to me. "Home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest!" 
I am at home here in Taiwan. I love the people and I do not want to go home soon.
Often, however, I feel like Sam and Frodo on Mt. Doom. Thinking of the things I am missing or have forgotten. For example my companion and I last night were trying to sing Micheal Jackson songs but could barely remember any words! It happens to all missionaries sadly, but it is worth it to forget somethings you love to focus on what is really important and find the true love of Christ. 

I do think of home often. Not in a longing way, just in a loving way. I am very grateful for the home I was raised in. Many times in my life I felt like the older brother in Elder Holland's talk. Making that vertical leap with nothing there to grab onto. I felt like I was slipping but always holding my right hand was Christ. I also believe wholeheartedly that my parents were always holding my left hand and keeping me from falling down. Remember Christ and love your parents. I only wish I could have been better at this before my mission and I hope to show my love for them afterwards. 
But not yet, not yet.   

Elder Henry David Christensen 

p.s. It is going by too quickly. that is all. 
I only hope to improve so I can become all that you think of me. You think too highly of me!
I love my mother dearly. Have a good week. Read the scriptures everyday everyday everyday. (especially the war chapters they are some of my favorites) and pray oft. 

Love your one and only

No comments:

Post a Comment