Monday, September 28, 2015

Mathmatical!

In Alma 10:32 it states in reference to Zeezrom and his pals, "Now the object of these lawyers was to get gain; and they got gain according to their employ." 
Which made me think of employment. We are all employed to do something, whether it be an actual job, the Lord's work, etc. In all cases it is to get gain.
But the gain being for ourselves or for others all depends on our motives to work. If our motive is to get gain in the worldly sense, we will get gain according to our employ, but is that really worth anything?
Later Alma and Amulek contend with Zeezrom..."Now, it was for the sole purpose to get gain, because they received their wages according to their employ, therefore, they did stir up the people to riotings, and all manner of disturbances and wickedness, that they might have more employ, that they might get money according to the suits which were brought before them; therefore they did stir up the people against Alma and Amulek.
And this Zeezrom began to question Amulek, saying: Will ye answer me a few questions which I shall ask you? Now Zeezrom was a man who was expert in the devices of the devil, that he might destroy that which was good; therefore, he said unto Amulek: Will ye answer the questions which I shall put unto you?
And Amulek said unto him: Yea, if it be according to the Spirit of the Lord, which is in me; for I shall say nothing which is contrary to the Spirit of the Lord. And Zeezrom said unto him: Behold, here are six onties of silver, and all these will I give thee if thou wilt deny the existence of a Supreme Being.
Now Amulek said: O thou child of hell, why tempt ye me? Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?
Believest thou that there is no God? I say unto you, Nay, thou knowest that there is a God, but thou lovest that lucre more than him.”
This week I will ponder the activities I participate in. What is the motive behind it? Why am I doing what I do? In the end we will all receive our payment due to the work we did. So I hope to make my work aligned with God and his love, and I will receive "never-ending happiness.”
I love you.

Elder Henry David Christensen 

No comments:

Post a Comment